Blogger Header Bar

Blogger Header Bar

Friday, January 24, 2014

The teacher in me

Soooooo tired of this icky, gloomy, bitter, depressing, cold weather. I don't like going out and don't like bundling the boys and taking them out so there has probably been an over abundance of TV - everything from Disney Junior, PBS kids, to Monsters Inc, University, Toy Story, Despicable Me, and a few others...... But I think we all might even be bored of those. It was all getting to me and so I took a break the other night after Keegan came home from work and set out on a mission - to find more activities for the boys! (Ok, and to have a relaxing dinner in peace and quiet, alone) And I accomplished both!

A few pictures of some learning and play activities. I loved the Montessori approach that Lance's last school in KS used and he seemed to really take to it, so I'm working around that as much as possible. It's difficult with two different ages, but so far, so good. I guess the teacher in me has come out a little. I really love this stuff.

This one was probably their most favorite - backing soda in the pan, then color vinegar and use droppers. Then watch is FIZ over and over again.

I have so many ideas for these awesome little motor vehicles. Counting, sorting, sensory bin, and on and on.... I just dumped them out this first time and let them go at it. And they were naturally sorting and counting. FUN stuff!

We had yet another "no school" day due to low temps. I let Lance skip his nap and enjoyed my one-on-one time with him. We did a few learning activities...... and played LOTS of games, including "Who's Behind the Door" which is his absolute favorite these days! Pretty sure we have played well over 100 times in the month of January. Sometimes you're not sure your money is well spent on certain toys, etc. But this game has been beyond worth the money spent.

First, I had him put the number cards in order, then had him match the number word to each number. (Some of these are in his "site word" homework too)

 Then I wanted to see how many of his color words he knew - he really focused and sounded a few of them out. I was quite impressed.
We also put down some masking tape roads for all the hot wheel cars, which kept them both busy for a little while. (Note to anyone with hardwood floors - don't use masking tape. Maybe try painters tape) I even put a sample down for a short time to see if I was going to be ok, but it did take the finish off in a few places, oops!

And I had forgotten about this little "activity" box I made out of a diaper box and paper towel rolls last Spring. Found it hidden and was able to get good use out of it too - SCORE! Thanks again to Pinterest for helping with all of these ideas.
Lance is actually wanting to spend time coloring these days which has been nice and allowed me one-on-one time with Chase. He thinks it's fun to look for coloring pages on the internet and catch them hot off the printer :-) One of his creations from this week - Monsters University of course!



No comments:

Post a Comment